People were talking about protein energy balls a lot, and my curiosity rose to a level where I had to make my own! I can tell you, they are super easy to make and super tasty, and they are also a quick job, takes max 5 mins to make and require almost no washing up!
These balls are filled with all the most amazing super foods in the world – almonds, walnuts, hemp seeds, flaxseed, chia seeds, coconut oil, raw cacao and dried dates. (You can vary their content depending on what seeds, nuts you prefer, or have at home). They really are little bites of perfect health and of course they are unbelievably delicious too!
The most awesome thing about all of these ingredients is that they’re almost all totally packed with all kinds of awesome plant proteins, hemp protein being the richest sources of plant protein available, which means they give you buckets of energy and keep you bouncing around all day long. They make an amazing afternoon pick-me-up too, way better than any chocolate bar. Make some on a Sunday night to keep in your fridge all week, that way when you get a snack attack it won’t upset your heathy eating!
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 15 – 20 balls, depending on size)
- 1 cup of dried dates
- 3/4 of a cup of almonds
- 3/4 of a cup of walnuts or any other nut
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of hemp protein powder (I used hemp seeds)
- 1 tablespoon of raw cacao powder
- 1 cup of coconut water (or coconut milk / almond milk / rice milk)
- I prefer to have smoother consistency, so I soak chia seeds, flex seeds and hemp seeds over night in almond milk (water, rice milk or coconut milk). This step is not necessary, if you do not have time, jump straight to step 2.
- Add coconut water together with cocoa powder, dates and chia seeds to a blender and let rest for 10 minutes so the chia seeds can activate.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the blender and mix to your desired smoothness.
- Form a ball with the warmth of your hands (when you deciding about the size, remember they are quite filling).
- Roll your balls in flaked coconut, almond flakes or crushed nuts.
- Share them or keep them all for yourself 🙂