Quinoa has quite the nutritional powerhouse reputation. Full metabolism boosting protein, it’s also gluten free, low in calories and packed full of other essential vitamins and minerals. All these features combined means that it’s a great option to include on your brekky menu, keeping you full and satisfied throughout the morning, with plenty of energy to burn.
The inclusion of cinnamon and honey adds plenty of flavour and sweetness without a huge number of calories, while fresh fruit and nuts up the protein and vitamin count. We used grated apple, raspberries and crushed up pecans but you could use whatever fruit you have to hand.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2.5 cups milk (cows, soy or nut)
- 1 cinnamon stick (2tsp cinnamon)
- 2 tsp vanilla essence or paste
- 1 tbsp honey or pure maple syrup
- 2 apples, peeled, grated or cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup raspberries (optional)
- ¼ cup pecans coarsely chopped or other nuts
- Rinse quinoa under fresh running water and drain, place to a sauce pan
Add milk, apples, cinnamon stick, vanilla. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer for 20 – 25 minutes. The apples will be soft and the quinoa will have absorbed the milk.
- Add honey/maple syrup, raspberries and pecans and stir to combine
- Serve with extra milk or even low fat, natural yoghurt and a drizzle of extra honey & cinnamon.