This superfood salad is a healthy dish to serve with barbecued meat or fish. You can even double-up the recipe and take leftovers to work for lunch! 🙂
Bulgur wheat compared to refined carbohydrate foods made with enriched or refined wheat, is a much better source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants and phytonutrients. It’s low in fat, high in minerals like manganese, magnesium and iron, plus it’s a good source of plant-based protein. 1 cup would serve you 33.8g carbs, 5.6g protein and 0.4g fat.
Serves 2 Ready in 20 minutes
• 50g broccoli
• 125g bulgur wheat
• 50g mixed seeds
• 75g cherry tomatoes
• Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
• Handful chopped fresh mint leaves
• 100g feta
1. Pour 300ml boiling water into a small pan and bring to a simmer. Add the broccoli, cut into small bite-size florets, and boil for 2-3 minutes, until al dente. Remove with a slotted spoon (reserve the cooking water), refresh in cold water, drain and set aside.
2. Put the bulgur wheat in a large bowl, pour over 225ml of the reserved cooking water, cover and set aside for 10 minutes. Tip into sieve and squash out any excess liquid, to keep the grains fluffy, not wet.
3. Stir in the mixed seeds, the cherry tomatoes, halved, the grated zest of ½ lemon and a small handful chopped fresh mint leaves. Season to taste, crumble over feta and gently fold through, along with the broccoli.
4. Divide between bowls and serve with warm pitta bread and the remaining lemon, if you like, cut into wedges to squeeze over.