My friend Ian Bisson has introduced me to Chia seeds and here I am experimenting 🙂
Let’s say you do a hardcore Jumping class or you have just have finished a long run or a long bike ride, kite surfed like Gisela Pulido, or lifted weights like Xena. Then what? You need a post-workout recovery drink 🙂
I’s going to be creamy and rich like the sweet chocolate milk of your childhood with a slight hint of coconut.
It’s dairy free and makes the perfect base for a post workout recovery shake with antioxidant-rich cocoa powder, electrolyte-containing coconut water, and a hint of coconut cream for that rich, creamy texture every smoothie needs.
It’s also loaded with:
• healthy fats and fiber from chia, flax and hemp seeds
• protein from peanut butter and all seeds
• potassium from banana
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
- 400-500 ml of Coconut Water or non-dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 pitted dates – if you want to add extra sweetness
- 1/2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 ripe banana, frozen is an option
- 1/4 cup ice
- 2 Tbsp salted peanut or almond butter
- 1 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp flax seeds
- Add coconut water together with cocoa powder, dates and chia seeds to a blender (I use a Vitamix blender, it’s awesome!) and let rest for 10 minutes so the chia seeds can activate.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend. For a thicker shake, add more ice and/or frozen banana.
If you do not have a powerful blender, soak (in coconut water) seeds and dates for a few hours in advance, your blender will deal with them better. Also your body will digest fiber easier 🙂
To serve, divide between two glasses and serve immediately. Freeze leftovers, if there is anything left 🙂